12 July 2016

Matthews grabs Stage 10!

I enjoyed a great first day of research talks here in Delft, the Netherlands.  The conference is off to a good start!  But being tied up all day in a conference means I couldn't see any of the Tour de France.  I'm back in my hotel room for a few minutes before heading out to dinner.  Below is Michael Matthews' winning time and a comparison with our prediction.
  • Stage 10:   4h 22' 38" (actual), 4h 32' 45" (prediction), 10' 07" slow (3.85% error)
I wish I could comment more on the stage, but I'll take being under 4% today.  Matthews' average speed is given below.
  • Stage  10:  12.50 m/s (45.01 kph or 27.97 mph)
Not bad, considering that first big climb.  Our prediction for tomorrow's flat stage is given below.
  • Stage 11:  3h 45' 22" (prediction)
We could be a bit slow tomorrow if the sprinters go crazy.  But they better not get too tired.  What awaits them on Stage 12 will make them pay for going all out tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment