02 July 2012

Out of the Dark Ages!

At about 1:20 pm (Eastern Standard Time) today, electricity came back on in my home.  We spent nearly three days without electricity due to a major storm that hit the US this past Friday evening.  Daytime temperature last Friday hit 38.9 C (102 F) in my area, which made conditions ripe for huge pressure differences that gave rise to strong winds.  Click here for more details of the derecho.  My college (Lynchburg College) may not have electricity until the end of the week.  After checking it out today, I can see why -- lots and lot of trees were knocked down.


I know I sound like a whiny American for complaining about not having electricity for three days while many, many people around the world don't have air conditioning and quality refrigeration.  I get it that life can be a lot worse.  It's just a matter of what one is used to after so many years.


Because of lack of electricity, I missed Spain's dominating win over Italy in Euro 2012.  I've also missed the first part of the Tour de France.  My next post will update results from the Prologue and first two stages.

No comments:

Post a Comment