22 May 2012

A try at Giro predicting ...

The 2012 Giro d'Italia is nearly over.  I've only modeled a couple of stages of this race in the past, mostly because my spring semester keeps me extremely busy as the race gets underway.  This year has been no exception.  A rising sophomore Lynchburg College physics student, Brian Ramsey, is working with me this summer in preparation for modeling the 2012 Tour de France.  We thought a nice warm-up exercise would be to model a few stages of this summer's Giro.


To introduce Brian to what it's like to stick one's neck out for science, I had him model tomorrow's Stage 17 using the model I developed for the Tour de France.  Tomorrow's stage is a wonderful mountain ride that takes cyclists from Falzes to Cortina d'Ampezzo.  Here is our prediction for tomorrow's stage:
  • Stage 17:  5h 28' 26" (prediction)
We shall see what happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment